cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:00 am 
Clutch Springs

Canada
Well, I’ve found both my front and rear brakes to be MUCH more responsive since flushing the brake lines… a VERY worthwhile service! :top:

So much so, last weekend I helped the ex-girlfriend do the same to her Harley Sportster (she was going to pay a Harley Dealer $80.00 to do the same thing with her regular Annual Service work. A side story to that too in a bit). In her case she needed DOT 5 fluid. WAY more expensive than my DOT4, but a valuable and worthwhile service. I had taken a peek at her fluid level window for her front brakes and it was BROWN!! Like dark brown. I showed her the window on my bike (nice and clear!!) and offered to do her brakes and save her some money.

So last weekend I did her brakes… Of an interesting note, when I removed the Master Cylinder cover to evacuate the old brake fluid, it turns out the fluid wasn’t all THAT dark. But I still replace and flushed the brakes. The DOT 5 was more purple-ish then the clear fluid I had in my bike, but her view finder window was so dark, it looked like there was still old fluid in it! She also noticed how much better the brakes were after the flushing/service!!

Here is the funny part (NOT!!!). She took her bike into get an oil change and to have everything else checked (an "Annual Service” she would get Harley to do). They called her about an hour later saying that her front brakes needed to be flushed as the fluid was dirty! :ohmy: She nearly LOST IT with the dealership!! :angry: She asked about the rear brakes and they said that was fine (of course it was)! :rolleyes: She then told them that both were flushed a couple of days ago with NEW DOT 5 fluid while she watched me do it! They insisted it was dirty and would need to be replaced (at $80.00 per brake). She asked them if they were just looking through the inspection window as it is VERY dark or did they actually open the cover. The Service Writer didn’t know for sure, but said he was told by the Tech that there was “bits and pieces of crude in the fluid”. In a nut shell, they could ONLY have looked through the window and NOT actually opened it up because when we got her bike home, I opened it up with her and it was PERFECT inside! NO crude at all (they were told NOT to touch the fluid and they left it alone). She was NOT impressed by this! This is the reason WHY she is now going to do a lot more of the “general” service work herself, including the Oil and Filter change…

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:11 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
It's interesting how dealerships work. I spent a few years at one and they never seem to learn anything :ohmy:

The other day buddy came down and we did some work on his Buell. Changed the oil in the Primary and the Secondary and the filter. Changed it out for 0w40 Amsoil Synthetic. Replaced his Shorai battery (which failed) with a conventional Gel Cell. As part of the servicing I asked him if he wanted new brake fluid. Of course the answer was No :laugh: I asked him when it was last changed and he could not recall ever changing it. I asked him how long he had the bike - 5 years or so. Might be an idea to change the brake fluid :biggrin:

So we drained, then flushed, then filled and bled the masters. Got all the air out. I mentioned to him many times how much better my brakes were working with new fluid. He doesn't always pay attention. So we get it done and go down the road for a trip. At the first pull-off I asked him how the brakes were. He said that was the first time he had ever been able to lock his rear wheel up and skid! I drove it for a while and noticed during a turn with brake applied that it felt like the rotor was warped. Thing is, I was also pretty sure he had either a loose wheel bearing (causing the pulsation) or perhaps even a steering head bearing that was gone. I didn't drive it long enough to diagnose it.

He told me he had never noticed. Yesterday we went for a Ucluelet trip and he mentioned that he could feel it several times. He was wondering why it all of sudden appeared. I mentioned that it's likely that his brakes now work so effectively that it's highlighting other underlying issues that were always there...

I really like working on that bike. You can tell that someone really put a lot of thought into it and you can see Erik Buell's hand all over it. It's very much as if you are working on his bike :top: The fact that I tend to agree with everything I've seen of his design (to date) helps :smile:

Attachments:
1-P5300001.JPG
1-P5300001.JPG [ 144.01 KiB | Viewed 8675 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:14 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
mmiller wrote:
Yeah, I can't wait to test them out. I installed them the other day and just went back and changed the front line around a bit for better routing. It's pretty easy to do (now) given the bike is all apart. Hopefully it's going to be something like this.... :cool:

Update, they are excellent. And, I have, several times, lifted the rear wheel up going into a corner :cool:

Attachments:
26pedrosa%2Cgpjerez_ped03_slideshow_169.jpg
26pedrosa%2Cgpjerez_ped03_slideshow_169.jpg [ 114.8 KiB | Viewed 8675 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:56 pm 
Clutch Springs

Canada
Ah yes... It's always fun doing Stoppies!!! :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:20 am 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
I was going to get braided lines but I think the lines they have stock are fine unless your a racer lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:04 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
ukguy2k wrote:
I was going to get braided lines but I think the lines they have stock are fine unless your a racer lol

I think that's a valid outlook :top: I can (and do) lock the rear wheel at times and I'm pretty used to it. But if the average fella is out in the rain and locks a wheel, it's not a good thing. I still think that braided brake lines are great, but only if the rider is aware of the increased performance and adjusts accordingly :top:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:06 pm 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
cheers well I might upgrade if I cant trade it in the next 3months as its got a cat c and I tried 1 dealer and said no due to a cat c on it

one time I was waiting on a roundabout and some twat beeped behind me I was ready to get off and twat them as they fucking assholes when you get beeped and I remember onetime someone was behind me and I reved to the max and high speed and they couldn't overtake me hopefully with upgrade springs would piss them off more

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:12 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
That's as good a reason as any to get the springs! :laugh: :top:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:14 pm 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
I feel like getting a big sticker on my jacket saying back off or I brake lol

already had a accident when someone reversed at max speed lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 am 
Clutch Springs

Canada
I have never changed or flushed brakes before. It seems like it might be a simple process. Can I find a generic YouTube video or can someone explain the process to me as I cannot find anything in the maintenance section to cover this process.

Thanks for such a great site Marvin!