cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am 
Performance Pack

United Kingdom
Hello all,

Great site and a great looking product, planning to fit it to my 2014 CBR but I just have a couple of questions.

First is with regards to the clutch, I see that there is a carbon fibre option available but I'm not sure I really need it, don't get me wrong I get the benefits it can offer but being in the UK I'm not going to be riding in particularly high ambient temperatures nor am I planning to do any sort of racing, it's a commuter a leisure ride bike. That being said I would change the clutch probably to the heavy duty EBC clutch (cork and rubber) over the stock clutch but just wondering what your thoughts are on how much benefit I would get/see from the carbon fibre upgrade. My commute is quite short just around 3 miles each way so again would the carbon fibre clutch not be warmed up and be as good as a cork version?

The second is I'm aware access to the videos comes later but outside of the special socket (which I can get in the UK) to get the clutch off is there anything else I need. I'm guessing a 1/4 - 1/2" torque wrench would be a good idea, and what purpose does the clutch basket tool serve as the videos I have seen of the clutch being changed no-one uses one?

I think that's it for now, thanks for looking.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:30 am 
Performance Pack

United Kingdom
Also how tricky is it to install the race wire? What effect does this part of the pack have?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:27 pm 

Canada
Hazza wrote:
Hello all,

Great site and a great looking product, planning to fit it to my 2014 CBR but I just have a couple of questions.

First is with regards to the clutch, I see that there is a carbon fibre option available but I'm not sure I really need it, don't get me wrong I get the benefits it can offer but being in the UK I'm not going to be riding in particularly high ambient temperatures nor am I planning to do any sort of racing, it's a commuter a leisure ride bike. That being said I would change the clutch probably to the heavy duty EBC clutch (cork and rubber) over the stock clutch but just wondering what your thoughts are on how much benefit I would get/see from the carbon fibre upgrade. My commute is quite short just around 3 miles each way so again would the carbon fibre clutch not be warmed up and be as good as a cork version?

The second is I'm aware access to the videos comes later but outside of the special socket (which I can get in the UK) to get the clutch off is there anything else I need. I'm guessing a 1/4 - 1/2" torque wrench would be a good idea, and what purpose does the clutch basket tool serve as the videos I have seen of the clutch being changed no-one uses one?

I think that's it for now, thanks for looking.

You don't need a clutch right now. Springs will help. When it comes time, the carbon fiber clutch is the best choice. All other answers to your questions should be found by checking the forum or just common sense. Here's a quote from Marvin. Whether you view the Performance Pack as a performance upgrade or a maintenance pack - either way it makes sense. You're upgrading and addressing all the weak links in the bike's original design. The fact that it's faster is just a side-benefit. When you install the Pack you are also doing all the required maintenance on your bike. So you're killing 3 birds with one stone....

But wait, at the same time you're doing that, you are also learning how to maintain your bike yourself. This means you are saving a LOT of money that would otherwise be paid to someone else. So the 'Pack pays for itself right there. That's 4 birds with one stone.

In addition, you're now a member of this community, which means you can come in and ask for help with anything, regardless of whether it's 'Pack related. So you can save a lot of money there....

Now let's get to killing 6 birds with one stone... As far as I'm concerned, a person should recoup the entire cost of the Performance Pack if they resell their bike. A bike with the 'Pack will always be faster then a bike without it. It's also been enhanced in that the ignition will likely never wear out and the clutch springs will also never wear out. So...it's a much better bike then all of the other 125's on the market.

Heck, we can go for 7 birds with one stone. If you take everything you learned from installing the 'Pack, you can then apply that to any future bike purchase. You can tension or replace a chain, you can adjust the freeplay, replace the countershaft sprocket - you name it. You don't have to fear it.

The 8th bird with one stone is perhaps the most important. You did the work, you understand it, and this means you have way more confidence in your bike. And more appreciation for it. To me, that's ideal

I got to stop now lest there be a dramatic drop in the bird population

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:36 am 
Performance Pack

United Kingdom
Great,

Thanks for the reply, and for the information about the clutch, is it something you would recommend at the point of needing a clutch just not now?

Looks like it will just be the performance pack for the time being in that case.