cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:07 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Hi Folks!

New product announcement - The Performance Pack :top:

Born out of extensive research and the desire to clean my buddy's clock on his 200cc bike, in the end, the Performance Pack put him to shame - on the straights and the corners to such an extent he got rid of the bike :lol:

The Performance Pack is nothing short of the least expensive and biggest bang for the buck modifications that you can do the 125R. It adds about 28% more torque to your bike and shaves 4.5 seconds off your zero to tops speed time. It makes a HUGE difference over a stock bike. In fact, if your bike is stock this is a kit designed just for you.

Having said that, it's not just about Performance. If you have an older bike and it needs a tune-up, skip it and install the Performance Pack, you'll be miles ahead and your bike will run better and be much faster without a hit to the easy-going nature of the 125. That's right, none of these mods will adversely effect the legendary reliability of the Honda CBR 125.

In a nutshell, minor re-gearing makes 6th gear actually useful. Revamped ignition addresses the common steady-throttle/steady RPM surge all of these bikes tend to exhibit as well as dramatically increases the acceleration rate. Heavy Duty clutch springs (exclusive - only from us) put a stop to the clutch slip that these bikes all have in common. This isn't just about Performance - it's also about re-designing the bike to be more reliable and cheaper to run. New, OEM Honda rubber insulators for the rear wheel will take up the slack in your drivetrain and make your bike much more solid.

The Performance Pack is the most cost-effective and highest dividend paying return you will ever find for a stock CBR 125. Whether you care about Performance or whether you just want to do a comprehensive Tune Up/Maintenance interval - the Performance Pack is for you. :mrgreen:

More info, along with Dyno charts etc can be found here => CBR 125 Performance Pack

As well, we have comprehensive video instructions. Skill level to install is minor and we will always support you promptly through the forums. Yes, YOU can do it and we will help you!

If you're new the CBR 125 world and want to add some zip to your bike don't go buying exhaust ($$$$$), don't go buying an expensive air filter, none of those things will actually give you a decent return on your money. The Performance Pack will.

Just as an FYI, take a good look at the attached Dyno Chart....you won't see a return like that from a $600 exhaust system. BTW, the Performance Pack does not detract from the legendary reliability of the CBR 125, in fact, it improves upon it.

If you have questions, feel free to post 'em up :top: We're here to help you make educated decisions about your bike :mrgreen:

Attachments:
P1150022.JPG
P1150022.JPG [ 84.57 KiB | Viewed 32141 times ]
PerfPackDyno.jpg
PerfPackDyno.jpg [ 63.8 KiB | Viewed 32141 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:06 am 
Performance Pack

Israel
Hi! i just got my new performance pack^^ but i dont know how to install.. can you send me the videos?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:26 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Rami1325 wrote:
Hi! i just got my new performance pack^^ but i dont know how to install.. can you send me the videos?

Awesome! You should ve good to go now :top: They are in the Support section of this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:36 am 
Clutch Springs

Canada
OK, so far since getting my bike back on the road, I’ve now gone through 6 tanks of fuel (a total of almost 38 Litres and a total distance traveled of 1055.6Km). The last fill up gave me the best mileage at 2.64L/100Km (107MPG!!! :top:). The worst was 3.41L/100 for an average of 2.98L/100km :tongue: . Average distance travelled on a tank of gas was 211.20Km with the longest being 277.00Km. Currently I can travel about 36Km per litre of fuel, or approx. 360Km per full 10L tank.

The above numbers have a mix of I would say 80% city driving and 20% highway driving...

With the addition of my 2 - 1L Fuel Cells, which should give me approximately 70Km of additional “travel time”. Now to be clear that all depends on a LOT of factors such as total weight that I will/could have on the bike, wind direction, etc. Strong head winds will slam me back while strong tail winds or a good bit of drafting will give me slightly better fuel economy.

Of note, I’ve been filling up when the needle on my gas gauge is touching or just in the red area. In most cases, this means I’m going to be adding between 5 to at most 7 litres of fuel. I just find it interesting that the gauge doesn’t seem to be all that ...“accurate".

Prior to all the upgrades (tires, etc.) and adding Marvin’s Performance Pack I was getting an average of 3.09L/100Km with a high of 3.44 and a low of 2.74 So far, all of what I’ve done to the bike has provided some dividends! Of course I’ll continue to track my millage with the apps I have on my cell phone to see if these numbers go up, down or stay within a steady area.

Stay tuned CBR125 fans!! :top:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:25 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
grenadiers wrote:
OK, so far since getting my bike back on the road, I’ve now gone through 6 tanks of fuel (a total of almost 38 Litres and a total distance traveled of 1055.6Km). The last fill up gave me the best mileage at 2.64L/100Km (107MPG!!! :top:). The worst was 3.41L/100 for an average of 2.98L/100km :tongue: . Average distance travelled on a tank of gas was 211.20Km with the longest being 277.00Km. Currently I can travel about 36Km per litre of fuel, or approx. 360Km per full 10L tank.

The above numbers have a mix of I would say 80% city driving and 20% highway driving...

Prior to all the upgrades (tires, etc.) and adding Marvin’s Performance Pack I was getting an average of 3.09L/100Km with a high of 3.44 and a low of 2.74 So far, all of what I’ve done to the bike has provided some dividends! Of course I’ll continue to track my millage with the apps I have on my cell phone to see if these numbers go up, down or stay within a steady area.

Stay tuned CBR125 fans!! :top:

Those are really, really good numbers. I tend to see an average of 87 MPG but the bike is continually taking a beating. If I drive it 'normally' or regular cruising it tends to bring that up to about +90 - so you're doing really well :top: Good to hear the Performance Pack is working out well for you! :smile:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:07 pm 
Clutch Springs

Canada
Yeah I've been VERY happy with the millage thus far.

It may change of course, and it is on only 6 full tanks of gas, so the true story will be after I've run at least another 6 to 10 tanks to get a good average.

But at 107MPG, that is the best I've gotten since installing the Performance Pack!!! :biggrin:

I would have gone riding today, but a couple of things came up... I had a Member form the AF1 site here in Winnipeg that wanted me to de-restrict his SR50. You need a special cartridge for the Gameboy to do that (NOT joking!!). :ninja: We can run diagnostics, check engine total run-time hours and the most importantly, we can remove the electronic restrictions (remove the rev limiter, increases fuel output to the Fuel Injector, and other electronic restrictions) that "release" the engines full potential!! The cartridge was originally only available to Aprilia Dealers, but became available (mainly in North America) via the dealers but when new cost just under $300.00US. Oribital, the makers of the ECU and injectors on our bike and the ECU had the cartridge made up, but discontinued it a few years ago. Now they are only available used. The funny thing is that used they go for over $400.00US on eBay because they are becoming so rare. The replacement for the Gameboy (which really only worked on 2 models of Aprilia bikes) is called the Navigator, costs over $4,000.00 plus an annual subscription for software updates and to be able to have access to the ECU Maps!! BUT, it does WAY more than 2 scooters... It does many other bikes made by Aprilia and and a couple of others.

I was really hoping that Honda had something like that for the CBR125 and all we would have to do is hook up a simple device or to a computer using a simple cable and software and that would allow us to update the ECU, change engine parameters and (the BIG thing!!) remove engine restrictions like the Rev Limiter (or at least change it)!!

And the second problem today, it's raining... at time VERY hard and it's supposed to rain tomorrow as well. :angry:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:40 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
grenadiers wrote:
Yeah I've been VERY happy with the millage thus far.

It may change of course, and it is on only 6 full tanks of gas, so the true story will be after I've run at least another 6 to 10 tanks to get a good average.

But at 107MPG, that is the best I've gotten since installing the Performance Pack!!! :biggrin:

If that's your average after 6 tanks I don't think it's going to change much :smile: You've got it made in the shade :cool:
grenadiers wrote:
I would have gone riding today, but a couple of things came up... I had a Member form the AF1 site here in Winnipeg that wanted me to de-restrict his SR50. You need a special cartridge for the Gameboy to do that (NOT joking!!). :ninja: We can run diagnostics, check engine total run-time hours and the most importantly, we can remove the electronic restrictions (remove the rev limiter, increases fuel output to the Fuel Injector, and other electronic restrictions) that "release" the engines full potential!! The cartridge was originally only available to Aprilia Dealers, but became available (mainly in North America) via the dealers but when new cost just under $300.00US. Oribital, the makers of the ECU and injectors on our bike and the ECU had the cartridge made up, but discontinued it a few years ago. Now they are only available used. The funny thing is that used they go for over $400.00US on eBay because they are becoming so rare. The replacement for the Gameboy (which really only worked on 2 models of Aprilia bikes) is called the Navigator, costs over $4,000.00 plus an annual subscription for software updates and to be able to have access to the ECU Maps!! BUT, it does WAY more than 2 scooters... It does many other bikes made by Aprilia and and a couple of others.

I was really hoping that Honda had something like that for the CBR125 and all we would have to do is hook up a simple device or to a computer using a simple cable and software and that would allow us to update the ECU, change engine parameters and (the BIG thing!!) remove engine restrictions like the Rev Limiter (or at least change it)!!

There is only one way to do it, I know how to do it, and I will, in all likelihood, be doing that for myself, and if so, I will offer it as a product but it will not be cheap. I cannot see Honda, under any circumstances, doing this of their own accord. I need to do this for my bike to reach it's potential and it is unfinished business :blink:

Every time I make the bike faster I keep hitting the rev limiter. I recorded one short freeway run that was truly exceptional and I bounced off the rev limiter in 6th no less then 12 times in a row on the flats. I then nailed the freeway exit in a truly spectacular fashion, pulled over and said to myself, "Self, that is going to be one hell of a video!" only to find that the camera was flashing 'memory full' messages at me. I had forgotten to erase the card. Did I mention I was learning as I go?

grenadiers wrote:
And the second problem today, it's raining... at time VERY hard and it's supposed to rain tomorrow as well. :angry:

I got out for a few rides and even posted up some videos from the GoPro. I'm starting to make headway with the camera and am learning where it's useful and where it's not. The weather over the last two days looked like severe rain was coming...but it didn't :wacko:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:03 am 
Performance Pack

Australia
Remapping ECUs:
We have two Aprilia Caponords: dual-sport 1000cc V-twins; there's an excellent forum for them (and many others) hosted by AF1 in Texas.
Several years ago, an international collaboration saw the birth of TuneECU - a shareware programme that permits the remapping of various (but not all) Aprilia, Triumph and KTM models.
The software permits examination and erasing of historical fault codes, altering rev-limits (lifted from 8750 to 10,000 rpm) altering fan cut-in temps (lowered from 106 to 95 deg C), reset the TPS, etc.
Now the good bit: a Capo owner in California (Catfish) labouriously remapped his bike on a dyno, using a hi-tech gas analyser, making measurements every 50 rpm. He makes his map(s) available for a $25 donation and it's pretty-much plug 'n play: the process, once you've found/made a cable, takes a couple of minutes.
The results are, frankly, astounding: on both our bikes, there was a significant improvement in smoothness and power: the bikes now power-wheelie on the throttle, despite weighing about 250kg, and fuel consumption improved by between 15 and 25% depending upon riding style. This means a tank of fuel will now take us an extra 80+km.

If there is a way to do similar with Honda's ECUs, it will negate the need for a lot of mechanical experimentation!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:21 am 
Clutch Springs

Canada
Precis wrote:
Remapping ECUs:
We have two Aprilia Caponords: dual-sport 1000cc V-twins; there's an excellent forum for them (and many others) hosted by AF1 in Texas.

If there is a way to do similar with Honda's ECUs, it will negate the need for a lot of mechanical experimentation!

I've been a member on the AF1 site since 2008 and a Super Moderator for the last 4 years (Same User name as what I have here: Grenadiers).

We've looked for YEARS at trying to produce our own ECU maps for the SR50, and a few members with programing skills have done just that, but the makers of the ECU (Orbital) does not "Play well with others" and has in the past sent out VERY well worded legal letters to ANYONE even attempting to "hack" or produce their own ECU maps... As such, any member that has produced a “better mouse trap” keeps it to themselves for fear of legal action being taken against them…

In fact the only one to ever get a license to produce an ECU based on Orbital’s platform was/is Malossi... They produced a replacement ECU for the Morini based SR50's and a Piggy-back unit for the PPJ based SR50's... I'm sure that it cost them a pretty penny, er, Euro too!!

I agree with what you said about the idea/concept of just being able to "Plug and play" with Honda's ECU, to change the Fuel Maps, make system changes, etc., but other than Diagnostics capability, I don’t think that is possible… They do have a port for a Diagnostic tool to be attached to, but as for doing anything else (like updating/changing the Fuel Map, change system settings, etc.) unless it’s a closely guarded secret (and I wouldn’t put it past them!!), there isn’t really anything that can be done... I mean it would make sense to have the ability to update the ECU’s map due to “real world reports of problems/issues”. But I could also see that only Honda would have that ability… Would teh dealers have that ability via the Diagnostic Tool? Or would they have to send it in for an exchange to Honds?

But you would think that one of any number of former Honda Motorcycle Techs would have told us about that sort of ability by now…

Marvin’s quest for a replacement ECU for the stock Honda one may very well be our only option… I would LOVE to have complete/better access to the ECU that would allow us to change/update Fuel Maps, run extensive diagnostics, etc. I would also love it if there was even a small computer program that would allow us to make minor changes to an installed ECU/Fuel Map!! Like being able to set it for "City Driving", "Country Driving" and “Race Mode”. Each would tweak the injectors Fuel pulse width allowing for more, or less fuel to be used and as such give more power at the one end, or the best Fuel economy at the other end! Much like some of the Aprilia bikes have the ability to switch “modes” to provide for a different riding experience by pushing a button on the dash, or toggling a setting in the Digital Dash to change a setting. I believe on some of the higher-end bikes it also makes an adjustment to the front and rear shocks as well to provide for a different riding experience as well… THAT would be the “Cat’s Meow”!!!!

:bike:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:06 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Precis wrote:

There isn't. The ECU used in the 125, and all Honda's that I am aware of, is made by Keihin. It's not made by Honda. It's a 3rd party device that has no re-programmable ability. It's hard-coded to do what it does. This means, to all intents & purposes, it's locked. It cannot be re-written. The programming is burned into it.

This is why people are making 'piggy-back' 'controllers' for it. Power Commander makes one, Dobrek makes one, other people make them. Each one of these controllers really only allows the user to do one thing and that's alter the air/fuel ratio. These 'piggy-back' units just intercept the commands generated by the OEM Keihin ECU and alter them. So they work but they are extremely limited and they are really more of a bit of a band-aid. So don't hold your breath for a miracle cure because it's not going to happen based on what's currently available...on the other hand, if adjusting your AFR is all you need to do then look no further.

What I spent a lot of time & money on last year was developing a replacement Plug 'N Play ECU that allows full control over everything. You remove the Keihin ECU and you replace it. This means literally creating a new computer for the bike. This isn't a hack or an 'adjuster' - it's a complete replacement.

For me, this is more of a personal goal. I needed clutch springs because the stock clutch slips. So, I manufactured them and addressed the issue. I needed a camshaft because I needed more power. Same thing, I had one manufactured. That's two of the design goals that I started off with done and completed. The third in the trifecta is the ECU...

I require a replacement ECU. Literally. The faster I make my bike the more I'm bouncing off the rev-limiter. Everything I've done to the bike has increased the acceleration rate dramatically, even to the point that the tach can no longer keep up, but it has not increased the top speed. In the case of the Performance Pack, it actually allows the bike to reach it's top speed but every serious modification after that (such as the camshaft) just puts you into a place where you hit the rev limiter on a regular basis and it cuts off the generation of power. Yuk!

In order for me to reach my particular design goals I require the ECU. I have to have full control over the entire bike from soup to nuts. Nitrous is very firmly fixed in my design criteria. For that alone - you have to full-blown control over the entire bike. AFR, Timing, activation RPM, throttle position sensor - the whole gamut.

But this is all very far from a game boy cartridge thing or adjusting an existing ECU that was designed to allow adjustment - albeit through a somewhat convoluted process. In both cases that you guys are citing, these ECU's were clearly created with the ability to be adjusted. This is NOT the case with any of the Keihin controllers I have seen to date. This is why people are manufacturing 'piggy-back' adjustment boxes that only alter the signals coming from the ECU. This is easy to do. It's also why you can only control the AFR. The hard thing is to make a new computer to operate the bike.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next