cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:02 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Hi Folks!

Many people don't realize that the stock clutch on the CBR125 R slips. It's true - right from the factory these clutches all slip a little bit. This significantly reduces the performance of the bike and shortens your clutch lifespan. The more a clutch slips - the more it will slip.

Clutch slip cost me several races last summer and also resulted in my buying no less then 5 clutch sets in an effort to address the problem. I tried the stock clutch, a Kevlar clutch, aftermarket 'heavy-duty' clutch springs - all to no avail.

After careful consideration I realized that the issue isn't a problem with the clutch itself, the problem is with the clamping pressure on the clutch as provided by the clutch springs. Point being, the stock OEM clutch springs are WAY to weak. The aftermarket 'heavy-duty' springs were tried and they also failed. What we found out from that was that aftermarket 'heavy duty' springs are typically manufactured to be 10% stronger then the OEM springs. :roll:

In the case of the CBR125R, the OEM springs are WAY too weak and a 10% increase doesn't cut it at all. In fact, after the clutch springs have been heat-cycled a few times through normal bike use they actually sag about 10% right back down to the stock OEM spring rates :evil:

As a result of not being able to address the issue with OEM springs or with aftermarket springs I decided to design and manufacture my own. They are considerably stronger then the stock springs (or aftermarket) and put an end to the slipping clutch issue once and for all. They are also manufactured to very high standards - much higher then the aftermarket '10% springs' that are marketed as 'heavy-duty' :lol:

Some of the positive side-effects of a properly functioning clutch spring are;

• Increased Fuel Economy
  • Increased Clutch Life
  • Cooler Engine Oil
  • Cleaner Engine Oil (less clutch bits from the slipping clutch)
  • Increased Bike Performance
  • Wheelies! :mrgreen:

When your clutch slips it both heats up the engine oil and contaminates it with small pieces of clutch. Those pieces that are smaller then the oil filter then get circulated around with your engine oil :o

One of the neat side-effects of a clutch that actually grabs is that the 125 will actually pull the front wheel up off the ground during a power shift into second and third. This can be viewed as a confirmation for you that;

1) Your stock clutch was actually slipping the whole time you owned your bike
2) That the new springs addressed the issue once and for all

Racers love these springs and for good reason. When all other CBR125's are the same, and their clutches are always slipping a tiny bit, then power is lost at the rear wheel. When you rid yourself of that power 'leakage' the bike goes faster :o

These clutch springs are easy to install, we have a HD 1080P installation video for users who need it, you don't need clutch tools - just regular basic hand tools and you can get real-time support over the phone or through the Technical Support forum (you get access to that when you buy something).

The clutch springs DO NOT make your clutch hard to operate. The lever will be firmer but it is not unreasonable. Great care was taken to find a balance-point where the underlying weakness of the bike was addressed without compromising it's easy to ride nature! :mrgreen:

Clutch springs can be purchased from our store and they are inexpensive to ship nationally or internationally.

Attachments:
P7310001.JPG
P7310001.JPG [ 3.68 MiB | Viewed 25892 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:02 am 
Performance Pack

United Kingdom
Excellent video,very comprehensive,I'll be able to do this no bother! :happy:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:52 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Thanks heebie :top:

If something unforeseen does come up just make a post in the tech support forum and we can help you out :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:23 pm 
Performance Pack

United Kingdom
Springs fitted,just as you said,easy job :happy:
Had a quick blast up and down the road,big improvement!
Will give them a proper testing on the way to work tomorrow and let you know how I get on :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:28 pm 
Clutch Springs

Canada
heebie wrote:
Will give them a proper testing on the way to work tomorrow and let you know how I get on :laugh:

Great to hear! Just a word of advice... Watch the "launch" when you're at a red light or stop sign... The front end WILL come off of the ground, if you release the clutch the same way as with the stock springs!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:31 pm 
Performance Pack

United Kingdom
Yep,found that out already!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:34 pm 
Clutch Springs

Canada
heebie wrote:
Yep,found that out already!

LMAO!!

Yup... I too found out "the hard way" while going to work. Surprised the HELL out of me!!

But was WAY cool!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:38 pm 
Performance Pack

United Kingdom
Great fun :ohmy:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:23 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
heebie wrote:

Great to hear :top: I hope the video was helpful too :smile: Give 'em a good thrashing and let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:02 pm 
Performance Pack

United Kingdom
Update on springs: having lived with them for a few days I can safely say they are a huge improvement over the stock springs!
Take off is greatly improved, acceleration improved.
Not tested out top speed yet but will when I get a chance.