cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:29 am

Post subject: New Helmet Comin' :)
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:01 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I just finished ordering up a much-wanted item - a new helmet :top: I'm pretty stoked about it as my old one (which is actually not so old) was a little too big for the old melon (I know...surprising huh? :laugh: ).

My old one was a HJC CL-16 which was a great helmet. Problem is, I bought it mostly for the color as it fit my jacket and the bike perfectly...

Attachments:
P8140001.JPG
P8140001.JPG [ 3.19 MiB | Viewed 4020 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

Post subject: Re: New Helmet Comin' :)
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:09 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
The problem with it was that it was a tad too large. At the time of purchase the sales rep mentioned that a different one would be a better fit but it was blue :ohmy: And so, being in a rush I went with the one that was color coordinated. Of course, as time went buy the helmet 'bedded in' a bit and the fit became more sloppy yet to the point that when riding in a full tuck at top speed I actually have to ride one-handed as my other hand is propped up between the gas tank and the helmet holding up the bucket so that I can see! :wacko:

At first this was interesting and it came with a side-benfit - I can now ride at top speed one-handed through corners :laugh: So my riding has improved but nevertheless, it's become a pain and so I finally decided to address this issue while addressing the engine re-build etc. So I did some research and picked up the HJC-17 Mission Helmet - the closest incarnation to the one that I had although this one is improved :top:

I ordered up one size smaller and I'm counting on it being the magic number as the one I currently have is close, but no cigar.

The CL-17 is reported to be quite the helmet - both DOT & SNELL approved and the vents apparently all work well and the noise level is reported to be excellent :top: All this, at a really dirt-cheap price!

Attachments:
2014-HJC-CL-17-Mission-Helmet-MC-1F-MCSS.jpg
2014-HJC-CL-17-Mission-Helmet-MC-1F-MCSS.jpg [ 23.97 KiB | Viewed 4019 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:52 am 
Clutch Springs

Canada
Thats funny, thats the exact same helmet as I have. I just didn't get the red on it. Mine is all black and grey. I love it with one exception. The vents just under the visor on the chin broke, so they won't close now. Fortunately HJC has a three year warranty so I'll just wait till winter to send it in for repair or replacement. You'll love it though. Mine is a size large and fits nice and snug and doesn't shift around at all. Been using it since March. Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:27 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Yeah, for the most part I'm loving it. I've got a few weeks on it now and I'm finding the visibility to be improved from the CL-16. My peripheral vision is better. Also, the main concern, the fit, is much better. I do find that without the nose guard it tends to fog up at the lights in cold weather but this is no big deal (I usually crack the visor one click when riding through towns anyway and the cures everything).

As reported by others, the vents actually do work!! The other night I even closed the top two vents because my head was getting cold - amazing. The one area where I found it did not live up to expectations is the noise. If anything, it's just as noisy as the CL-16. Other then that one thing...pretty much perfect.

Have you noticed the noise? I find I can hear the bike a LOT more along with a lot of wind noise. They say the chin curtain option helps, one day I'll try it.

Have you been doing much riding? How's that going?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:55 pm 
Clutch Springs

Canada
Hmmm, haven't really noticed too much noise. At least to me it seems normal, although this is my first helmet I've worn so I guess I have nothing to compare it to. As for the fogging, mine came with the clear insert that goes onto the pins on the visor. I have yet to ever fog up at all. So maybe look for that insert? The vents work great though. I've noticed the ones on top work the best, which is where you really need the air flow anyways. I find it heats up fast when sitting at a light in the sun, so I usually just open the visor up. I'd contemplated getting a tinted visor for it, but all the reviews say its impossible to see at night, so I just stick to the clear visor and wear sunglasses during the day.
As for riding, I've just been riding it to and from work when they aren't calling for rain...or at least not on the way to work. Thankfully I only live about five minutes away from work so even if I do get caught in rain on the way home I'm just damp instead of completely soaked to my underwear lol.
I'm taking the motorcycle course next weekend and hopefully if I pass I'll walk away with my M2 license which is good for five years before I have to take the full M test.
I still have to install the springs I got from you too. I'm getting alot more comfortable with the bike though, and my confidence is really going up, so I imagine it wont be too long before I get them installed. I keep staring at the envelope they're in and thinking to myself maybe this weekend....maybe tomorrow....but then I go riding and forget about them for another day :) I can guarantee they'll be in before the end of summer though! Can't wait to see how they affect the bike and the shifting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:00 pm 
Clutch Springs

Canada
FYI, this is the pinlock insert mine came with. I highly recommend getting it.
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/hjc-hj-09-pinlock-anti-fog-insert.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:06 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I got one of those with the helmet! I was really surprised because, according to the HJC site, this helmet doesn't come with one. Even better yet, this one was clear. The one with my other helmet was yellow :laugh:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:32 pm 
Clutch Springs

Canada
Glad to hear yours came with one too. It didn't list it as coming with one from the place I bought mine from either. It's a life saver! Just make sure the silicone piece goes against the visor and you're all set.
Yep, tons of parts from eBay for these helmets. Even with the one vent broken on mine I think I'd still buy another based on cost, comfortability and part availability. We'll see how their customer service is when I send mine back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:31 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
You're lucky because you got a good one right off the bat :top: My first helmet was a little too big. But, as it turned out, it was rated as one of the best on the market. Same thing with my new one, it's also rated as one of the best out there. Although, they did say it was quieter.... :laugh:

One thing I'm liking about it is that it cleans up nicely. I usually clean them with Windex once they get some bugs on them and I was concerned that the flat black would scratch or something. It hasn't and it seems to almost be some kind of rubberized coating. Every time I clean it it comes back like new. The vents are truly awesome!

Are you going to install the springs soon? You can clean the oil filter while you're there :top:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:47 am 
Clutch Springs

Canada
Funny you should mention scratches. As I was digging the storage bag out of my backpack in the parking lot at work this morning I accidentally dropped my helmet onto the asphalt from about six inches up. I haven't had a close look yet, but I did see some good scratches on it. So I guess you should still be just as careful as you were thinking lol.
No. Haven't put the springs in yet. I've been working long days lately plus my son is in house league baseball and now all stars too, so I've been having to take him there six days a week for games and practices. I'm hoping near the middle of July to get them in when I'm on vacation. Hoping is the key word there lol.