cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

Post subject: Rear Sprocket 42 vs 44
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:11 pm 

Canada
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has tried to add 2 teeth to the rear sprocket on the cbr125 07-10. Wanted to see if 14/44 was any good.

If nobody has tried I was gonna throw one on mine and let people know if it works or not, if somebody tried before I won't bother if it was bad.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:37 pm 

Canada
I just ordered one and will try it this spring on my 2008. I found the 14T front sprocket helped a lot but I could probably benefit from higher rpms at cruise. From what I've read, the 14T works well on the 2011+ bikes, so it should be similar for the older bike.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:36 am 

Canada
The guy at the local bike shop told me the rear sprocket from the 2011 and up fits the 2008 model. This is wrong. I should have done my own homework. I've just ordered what I think is the right one JTR1206.44

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:02 pm 

Canada
TDLR: nice addition to the performance pack, Makes bike accelerates faster, max speed (GPS) 125-130+ kilometers. Cheap and easy to install.
* = editor comment

I installed the sprockets a few weeks ago and I felt the acceleration of the bike increase to something more noticeable.

When I installed the 14t front sprocket I pretty much felt almost nothing, but now with both the front and back -1/+2 it feels great.

The bike runs fine with a 14/44 tooth sprockets, 6th gear is better now.

1st 2nd 3rd gear is instantly over.
I use 4th or 5th mostly for city. *speeding is bad kids. 5th hits limiter around 120 on the stock speedo which is off by 8-10 kilometers. *so actual speed is around 110

top speed loss is around 10%

While going downhill the rev limiter in 6th hit around 125-130 GPS tracked kilometers. *I wasn't really paying attention was racing an R1

I did a stupid test, I rode in pouring rain with all my gear soaked, I weigh 240 pounds with no gear and average sustained speed was 110 tracked with GPS on a flat. Don't worry about your top speed unless you weigh 300+ pounds and your bike runs like garbage.
*Bike is clean now

My Current performance set up:

CBR125r 2007 *Also known as the CBR125RR Fireblade limited edition :bike:

Black widow full exhaust system *some cheap stuff from the UK pretty much same as oem
K&N High flow Air Filter *This doesn't do anything I'm just lazy to change paper filter
Pirelli MT75 Front and rear tire *Sticks so you wont crash
Performance pack + 100% synthetic oil *good stuff
JT 14T Front sprocket JT 44T Rear sprocket JT Heavy duty chain *The thing im talking about
Shorai Lithium battery *expensive

*follow me on instagram @wowitschowder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:19 pm 

Canada
Thanks for the update. I've got mine installed and ready to go. Just need some above freezing weather and salt free (or at least sodium reduced) roads to drive on.
I've never got mine above 115 km going downhill. I wonder if it's a difference in speedo calibration between model years. I'm 6'2 and 190lbs which doesn't help either.
I've put in heavy clutch springs and the 14t sprocket last year which did improve things and make 6th gear somewhat useable. Synthetic oil was also an improvement.
This winter I put on new tires, Iridium plug, the 44t sprocket and fabricated an extension for the windshield. I also made a PVC pipe rear rack for commuting to work. If it's not snowing in March I'm hoping to take a ride south to hit some beaches put in some miles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:49 pm 

Canada
Well, it wasn't above freezing and I'm sure there's a lot of salt on the road but I went for a ride for a few hours anyway.

The lower gearing works way better for me as well. It feels like I can get up to highway speed better and the engine isn't working as hard; cruising at 100 kph with a bit of throttle to spare.

I can't say if my wind shield extension has a role in this improvement, but I suspect that it does. It feels like I'm getting some of the benefit of tucking without having to tuck. I can't tuck down as far anymore because my helmet hits the wind shield if I try to lie on the tank, but that's not something I was fond of doing anyway. When we get warmer weather, I'll try some comparisons with and without the extension.

Pictures from my ride...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B21Ji ... W9iNUpzVmc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B21Ji ... zlzT090YWM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:10 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I like it (going -1 / +2). Haven't done it on the 125 but on the 600 I went;

-2 / +2 and it was remarkable. WAY too over-geared (too low) but acceleration rate was unbeleiveable. Fastest thing I've ever seen to 200 KPH. But...not much more speed left after that.

I heartily recommend buying different sprockets and trying them out. You learn a lot that way and it's not a lot of money. I found just going to the 14 meant that first gear was over in a real hurry. Can't imagine what it would be like with +2 on the rear as well. Perhas you can start in 2nd?

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:13 pm 

Canada
Can start in 2nd but it feels slower than going to first then instantly into 2nd.

3rd and 4th doesn't last either

First is over when the bike starts to move. It screams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:13 pm 

Canada
Keep in mind I'm talking about a 2008. In 2011 Honda went with the 44T rear, so I'm really at about the same gear ratio as the newer bikes with a -1 front. I find 1st gear is low but quite usable.