cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

Post subject: HeadLights
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:59 pm 
Any suggestions on headlights bulbs that will be better than the stock ones? If you are running something different, please give me some feedback on what you have. Thanks!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

Post subject: Re: HeadLights
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:04 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I find the stock ones pretty darn good but when a bulb finally burned out I replaced it with a GE Nighthawk. I think there's two different grades of quality. Not sure which one I got. They work very well and lots of folks recommend them.

Best thing a guy can do (for night riding) is to tie the low beam into the high beam side so both are on when on high-beam. I've never had any issue with the stock lights on this bike in that fashion.

The low beam has a very sharp cut-off point (see the reflector inside the housing) and the high beam has the same. When both are on at the same time they do a fantastic job of lighting up the road even at very high speeds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:03 am 
Marvin, thanks for the response and suggestion. Could you give me some details or point me in the right direction for modifying he wiring as you suggest for having both lights on at the same time only in high beam? Does this cause resistance on the wires or drains the battery quicker with a stock alternator?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:55 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
No, it works great! :top:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:43 pm 
Performance Pack

Canada
I have done this mod as well and I am happy with it. I too use the stock headlamps. To do the mod, all that is needed is to connect the white wire with the white with green stripe wire. Essentially the low beam power supply jumpers or bypasses the low/high beam switch so that the low beam light is always on. The connection can be done at the switch but it is very tight and there is not much wire to work with. I made the connection at the 9-pin harness connector located below the gas tank. There is more wire to work with at that location. Lift the gas tank, locate the 9 pin connector, pull out the pins of the white and white/green wires, connect the two wires, wrap with electrical tape, reconnect the two pins to the harness connector and you are done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:44 pm 
Awesome Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:29 pm 
Performance Pack

Canada
what are the bulbs for these bikes bought H7 the don't fit harness prongs on H7 bulb are to close together I bought 35watt h7 hid kit flops around in housing

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:39 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
The headlights are both 12V / 55 watt bulbs and they are H7's. I believe there's a socket that fits on the bulb. Check your old bulbs, I believe it needs to be transferred to your new ones to make them fit :top:

Btw, I also bought HID's some years ago and they fit but I'm pretty sure they needed the socket?

Attachments:
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg [ 63.46 KiB | Viewed 14292 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:39 am 
Clutch Kit

Canada
Hey Paul,
Which harness under the tank holds the headlight connections?
By connect the two wires do you mean to run a jumper wire between them and then reconnect the original connections in the housing?

Hoping to install the ignition cable today (when the rain stops...) and it'll be a perfect time to do this mod.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:07 pm 
Clutch Kit

Canada
Found my way around the wiring harness and got everything working with the dual headlight mod. Really happy to have that, should make night riding more comfortable.