cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:14 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
It's just a heck of a lot of fun!

Attachments:
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg [ 123.15 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg [ 126.39 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg [ 143.65 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]
Picture4.jpg
Picture4.jpg [ 138.21 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]
Picture5.jpg
Picture5.jpg [ 115.42 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]
Picture6.jpg
Picture6.jpg [ 135.32 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]
Picture7.jpg
Picture7.jpg [ 126.12 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]
Picture8.jpg
Picture8.jpg [ 138.81 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]
Picture9.jpg
Picture9.jpg [ 111.63 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]
Picture11.jpg
Picture11.jpg [ 126 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:14 am 
Performance Pack

Switzerland
I get a lot of flack, mainly from work colleagues who have big cruiser type bikes.
They make fun of my ''mini bike'' or scooter and cannot understand why I don't get real bike.

Especially since the installation of the Performance Pack I've had such a blast on the WeeBR.
Can it do 200kph? NO but who really rides at that speed daily?
Even the cruisers rider go no faster than 110-120kph and I can do that and do do that regularly.
I get close to 100mpg if I don't push too hard all the time and even then get 85mpg.
My plates and insurance are close to nothing, here in Quebec where you get hit hard if you ride anything over 400cc and especially if it's a sport bike.
Actually my plate plus insurance is less than the cruisers plate cost alone.

My bike is nimble and a hoot to ride. You need some skill in keeping up the revs in the curves to conserving speed but that's what riding is all about? no?.
I started riding 30 years ago (while still in Switzerland) and had to start on a 125 and have come full circle.
Every now and then I think about getting the new CBR300 and the greater power, acceleration etc, but then ever I come home from a ride and I can't think of getting rid of my CBR125. I don't need more. I have fun. It's economical and I can ''risk free'' turn the throttle all the way!!

Really the only time I want ''more'' is when I take my daughter riding with me and it's not even the speed or power the issues, more that the extra weight has a dramatic impact on handling and go tell a teenager to sit still and stop fidgeting!.

Sorry for the rant! But I just adore my CBR125R (2011 btw) and with Marvin's incredible Performance Pack it got even better.

I'm just a guy almost pushing the big five-oh and who regularly goes on 200-300km rides after work and enjoys his ''little'' bike.

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:57 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Well said! :top:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:39 am 
Performance Pack

Canada
140 KM per hour!!! I have only had mine hit 125kmph going down hill on a stock bike once (I'm 225lbs). I can't wait to get my performance pack in the mail. I can't wait to see the improvements over stock :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:08 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
At 225 lbs your bike is really going to have to work hard :ohmy: But there is also a direct correlation between weight and the clutch too. So in your case I think you're going to find that the fact that the clutch actually being able to clamp will be pretty noticeable.

Don't forget, the bike above has a custom camshaft, exhaust and a custom ECU. Having said that, it normally is considerably faster then the 140 shown having hit 148.7 in the past with still more on tap (was not running correctly then either).

It should do 180 or more but I got stuck for parts on the latest engine build. It's going back together as we speak.

A lot of people misunderstand the Performance Pack or get caught up in the details. I just got some sales enquiries from Italy about it and it's always the same thing. It has to do 140 because that $149.95 is all the money we have in the world.

It's really this simple, our freeway (here) is rated at 120 KPH. This means that everyone does 130 KPH - on a slow day. On a Friday, it's usually 140 KPH with the real speeders hitting 150 KPH. With the Performance Pack you can ride with the traffic and pass all the slower people. In fact, you can keep up with everyone except, typically, the people doing 150 KPH. On the other hand, if you draft behind them you would be surprised just how fast you can go.

However, I have no control over how much a rider weighs, if they understand that you have to be tucked in (many don't) or if the rider is even willing to rev their bike. You would be surprised how many people expect to do 120 KPH, sitting fully upright, at 6,000 RPM. I have no control over how a person rides their bike - all I can do is post up videos of me on the bike on 120 KPH freeways etc.

In my own personal case, 99% of the time I'm at the front of the pack wherever I go. On the highway I am always passing all but the most egregious speeders. I spent more time in court last year fighting tickets then I had since I was a teenager :blush:

Ultimately I have no control over how a person rides their bike. Many folks think the sky will fall if the bike hits the rev limiter. I am not one of those. I got rid of the rev limiter :laugh:

But if a person can't understand how much faster the bike is after installing the Performance Pack then it's really an indication that there's something wrong with the rider :blink: There's no less then a 4.5 second reduction in time to go from zero to the rev limiter in 6th over a stock bike, and that's on the low side.

But I always seem to get stuck with questions about how it is that the clutch springs make the bike faster....people just can't get past that. They just don't understand that the incredibly weak clutch lever on the 125 is not normal. They correlation between a weak clutch lever and a weak clutch can't seem to make it across to them. They think that the stock clutch doesn't slip. It can't be!

And yet, for the last 40 years, Barnett, and others, have been doing nothing but making HD clutch springs for bikes to address these very issues. The first thing you do when you hotrod a car is install a much stronger clutch. This has been done since the beginning of time. Everyone needs a clutch that clamps. This is no new thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:14 pm 
Performance Pack

Canada
Marvin,
I totally understand what you are saying and I do understand what the performance pack will do and won't do. The fact remains, the small cost of the performance pack gives you the most gains for this small bike (I can't believe people actually try to get it for a cheaper price or make other stupid comments - you probably don't even make any money of the package at the price point you sell it for!). I am totally happy with my bike stock as I typically have it running at 110 km/hr on the highway and can putt along quite nicely without tucking. My top speed was down hill with a tuck :) However, why run it stock when I can invest such a small amount to see so many great gains. Just to have 6th gear usable is a huge plus.

I'll update you on what I notice after the performance pack install. I am 6 feet tall and 225lbs. Not the typical 125R rider. I have rode larger bikes, but there is something special about my "little pond skipper".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:32 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. If possible I would suggest installing it all before test riding it. It's the best way to really get a black & white comparison. I weigh in at about 180, or a little more, same height.

I know I've been bitching quite a bit lately but I really can't understand why the average person can't just look at it as the ultimate maintenance kit if they can't believe/understand the need for the Performance side of it :blink:

I mean, in my mind, even if a person just viewed it that way and counted any performance increase as a bonus, it's still a great value. Never mind that people report lifting the front wheel going into second and third..and the clutch side of things is rather obvious (to me) as is the benefit of making 6th useful.

If I take into account your increased weight (as compared to mine) I'm guessing that all the design flaws in the bike (such as 6th being useless) would be even worse in your case. I will be interested to hear what you think as the benefit may be more apparent to you then the real lightweight riders.

I'm thinking I'll have my engine back in the bike tomorrow and fire it up. If all goes well, maybe I'll be able to get out there at some point and clock at least an honest 150+ run. The bike record so far was the 148.7 and with the Nitrous Oxide and the 17 tooth sprocket I really should be closer to the 200 KPH mark. It seems though, that every time I get close something always breaks or needs to be adjusted.

I just lost + $700 in parts on my last run. I had completely re-built the engine with the understanding that I would not have to do it again as my tuning etc had largely been completed. So I bought new case halves, new crankshaft, new cylinder head, new cylinder, and even picked up a new crankshaft position sensor as I (erroneously) thought it was faulty. At any rate, everything other then the transmission and the balance shaft was new.

So what happens? At 130 KPH on the freeway, in traffic, at about 11,000 RPM with only about 1,200 klicks on the engine, it gives off a giant bang with a lot of rattling. I got traffic behind me and I figure the chain must have let go. I can still feel my leg so I assumed it was still there. I look down and all is well other then the engine died and it's rattling like a bastard. I manage to get it off the freeway and ultimately what do I find? .....

The balance shaft sheared in half and tried to send each half out their respective side of the case. I've never seen anything like it. Closer inspection led us to conclude metal fatigue killed it. But wow, it sheared in half and pieces went everywhere.

So here's the thing, I have about 1200 k on an entirely new engine, it's literally all brand new, I figured I would never have to go into it again, other then to do a quick re-ring/hone job every once in a while.

The reality is that when the balance shaft broke in half it destroyed both sides of my new case. It also destroyed my new crankshaft. Along the way, giant pieces of steel got wedged between the flywheel and my new crankshaft position sensor - obliterating that.

So that single failure precision-targeted every single expensive component I just replaced in my effort to build a more/less entirely new engine that I would not have to look at for years. And of course I wasn't going to re-use the brand new bearings because...well, because I wouldn't.

Add in that many of these engine parts are TBA (to be announced) as Honda literally has no stock anywhere and they have get the factory to do a run of them, and then send them out into the distribution network before I get to see them. In other words, they are air-freighting a lot of these parts direct to me from Asia as soon as the factory does a run. Ultimately, it really equates to a one month waiting period with bike guts all over :ohmy:

Ah well, it could have been worse. Instead of failing the way it did it could have truly grenaded at something 13,000 RPM and locked the rear wheel and dumped all of it's oil over the rear tire, at 140K. That would have been worse! :laugh:

Oh well, I may even be riding tomorrow :cool:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:19 am 
Performance Pack

Canada
Marvin,
I can only say, WOW!