cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 pm

Post subject: Larger Windscreen?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:53 pm 
Performance Pack

Canada
Would like to get better wind protection/aerodynamics for my 2009. Would like to do half a tuck and hold 120km/h instead of having to lay on the tank.

Looks like there is only 2 choices for the first gen bikes. Airblade and Puig. Which one gives better protection? Is there another brand that gives better protection?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

Post subject: Re: Larger Windscreen?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:05 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I haven't run any of them but I do recall that a fair number of people had run the Puig. Maybe someone who has run one can comment?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:23 pm 
I had the Puig on my 2009 CBR125R. And then purchased the Honda touring screen for my 2011. The Puig was fine. However, it isn't very wide - so doesn't really provide THAT much more coverage. I much prefer the Honda touring screen that attaches over my stock screen on my 2011 CBR. It's both wider and taller - and does a better job. For this reason - I ended up purchasing a Ducati Multistrada windscreen from Cee Baileys and fitted it to the front cowl of the 2009 CBR125R. This is the one attached to the black CBR in the photos. This provided much better protection than the Puig. However, if I had to do it all over again with an older gen CBR - I'd probably just spring for the Honda touring screen again - and find a way to fit it to the 2009 CBR.

Attachments:
new003.jpg
new003.jpg [ 830.41 KiB | Viewed 11111 times ]
new002.jpg
new002.jpg [ 913.51 KiB | Viewed 11111 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:40 am 
Performance Pack

Canada
Great info and pics GearDrivenCam! I think I've seen those pics on an old forum that doesn't work anymore. Sad, a lot of good info was lost.

Do you find the larger screens help the bike with holding top speed easier? In other words, you don't have to work as hard laying on the tank? Maybe half a tuck helps?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:34 am 
It's difficult to tell because I've never tested a larger windscreen equipped bike back to back with a stock windscreen equipped bike in any systematic way. But my impression is - yes - I am able to maintain highway speeds easier. It really doesn't appear to improve my top speed - it just seems to make it easier to reach it - without having to tuck in so low. Below is what the Puig screen looks like on the bikes (both bikes in these photos have the same windscreen).

Attachments:
forum091.jpg
forum091.jpg [ 173.52 KiB | Viewed 11102 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:18 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
It's an impressive stable! :top:

I'm curious about the aerodynamics of the second gen bike. Do you find that it's better/easier on the highway then the first gen?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:54 pm 
Marvin - a few of us discussed this on the old forum on a number of occasions. The consensus seemed to be "yes" - the new bike seems to be more aerodynamic. Certainly the stock screen is bigger on the newer gen. So this could be playing a major role - by making it easier to tuck in behind it. And the newer gen feels a bit wider - so it's easier to get in behind the bodywork too. The newer gen is a bit heavier - but it's also a larger bike. When I still owned the 2009, I would sometimes hop off the 2011 and take the 2009 for a spin. Suddenly - I felt much more cramped on it. The 2011 has noticeably more room to stretch out on. It just feels more like a bigger bike. Honda seems to have nailed the ergonomics on it. I even liked the ergos on the 2011 CBR125R better than my 2011 CBR250R. As much as I loved my 2009 - I could never go back after owning the 2011 CBR125R. Everything from the larger wheels, to the single headlight (no more bystanders warning me that I have a bulb burnt-out like with the 2009), better ergos, more room, better stability (not as twitchy as the 2009 - though that's part of what made that bike unique!), a larger fuel tank (this is great for touring!), and a speedo that can be adjusted with a speedo-healer all contribute to the enjoyment of the newer gen. It's definitely much easier to tour on too. :)

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:37 pm 
Performance Pack

Canada
Maybe I should just update to next gen bike instead of updating my screen :biggrin: :laugh:

The Puig screen doesn't look so good compared to the Honda touring screen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:18 am 
sRo - if you love everything about the CBR125R - the cost of insurance, ease of maintenance, outstanding fuel-economy, light weight, great handling, cheap parts - and plan to hold on to it for a while - it might be worthwhile to pick up a 2011 or newer bike if you can. They were going at a huge discount recently. I still think it's the best deal going on a new motorcycle. Perhaps you can capitalize on a situation where someone has purchased a 2011 + generation bike and wishes to trade up. With that said - if you don't feel any particular attachment to the CBR125R - you could always sell your bike - and save some extra money for the forthcoming Yamaha YZF-R3. :biggrin:

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:35 am 
Performance Pack

Canada
I love all the things you mentioned about the cbr125 and also trying to get the most out of that great little motor and making it sing at 10,000rpm.

I think I can get a used 2011+ for ~$1900-$2200 and sell mine for $1600. So for ~$400 I can get all the improvements you mentioned. Seems like a smart idea to me. :smile: