cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:10 am

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:45 pm 
Performance Pack

Canada
not tucked in, 170 lbs

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:11 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Gearbox Paul wrote:
Finally been home for a couple of days and installed all the parts and converted to Amsoil 0W40. Saw nice improvement in acceleration, mid-range throttle response and ease in keeping the engine in powerband. However, I did not see any improvement in top speed. I can hit rev limiter in 4th, can hit 11,000 rpm in 5th and about 9500 in 6th. Still stuck at about 110 km/h top speed.

That's about right considering your weight and the fact that you're sitting upright. I feel kind of bad that I didn't twig onto that at the start when you first asked about the 'Pack. I assumed that you were tucked in as you mentioned top speed. I'm sorry I didn't pick up on that :blush:

I weigh the same but the difference between being tucked in and upright is an increase of +20 KPH typically. This depends a bit on the road, you'll get more when following traffic (draft) or on slight downhill roads etc but on average, what I've experienced is a good 20 KPH more. Bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th is typically Parksville to Nanaimo pushing traffic out of the left lane (so, some draft advantage due to the traffic and everyone is already doing 110 or better).

The difference is remarkable but on this bike, sadly, you'll never get to the rev limiter in 6th upright. What is really interesting (in this case) would be to wind it out upright at 110, keep the throttle pinned, and then tuck in and watch the clock. I think you'll be surprised at what happens.

Also...once you're 'up there' it's also WAY easier to keep it 'up there' with the 'Pack. Quite frankly, with it (the 'Pack) you'll never get 'up there' :laugh:

Almost all of my high speed riding is a combination of tucked and upright. Normally on the freeway I'm tucked in until I come up behind traffic in the left lane and then I'm upright until it's time to move. When passing on single lane roads, always tucked in (unless I'm lazy).

Got to say though, you picked up on pretty well every benefit of the 'pack including the increased throttle response and ease of keeping it in the power band. Not many people are discerning enough to notice that. With the stock wire and plug there is actually a spot in the stock ECU's map where the designers missed dialing in a cell in the VE table. Periodically the engine will stumble when it hits that load and RPM range very briefly. The revised ignition in the 'Pack covers up that error nicely and I'm really glad you noticed it :top: Only two other people have ever commented on that.

But...sorry I didn't pick up on the fact you were riding upright!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:37 pm 
I have a 2008 CBR125R I bought in Ontario from new years ago. What are the benefit to me to change the clutch to your carbon fibre kit along with the performance pack at the same time? Is this recommended?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:17 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
It's the ideal situation. You completely get rid of the clutch issues pretty much once and for all. If you do the 'Pack and the CF Clutch kit then you've pretty well done everything that can be done to make the bike perform better and last longer. You've improved it over stock by a wide margin and it's done. That's it.

If you elect to go that route you can save some money by getting the 'Pack less springs and the CF kit as it has springs. With respect to your manual request when you place your order I'd be happy to include a disk with the manual on it :top:

We also have HD installation videos for both the 'Pack and the Carbon Fiber clutch kit. :top:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:42 pm 
Awesome, thanks!!! I will be ordering sometime in the new year :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:50 pm 
Should I buy a Clutch Cover Gasket to go along with the install? Is there any other components I will need to buy with the two kits?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:08 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
You need two tools to do the clutch, a specialty wrench and a socket. I have one wrench left in stock but no sockets. This is not a big deal as you can get the socket fairly easily (I can direct you to one when the time comes).

On the clutch cover gasket it's hit & miss. If you have a local Honda dealer you can always get one through them if you have to. It's hard to say definitively whether you would need it or not. Sometimes they tear, sometimes they don't. If you can't be stuck in the middle of the job without one then certainly grab it :top:

With those two items done, there really isn't anything more you can do to increase the performance of the bike for any reasonable amount of money. At the same time, you've made the bike much more reliable (you'll likely never need to change the plug, you'll likely never need to look at the clutch again etc). Kind of an inexpensive way to do all that can be done and it kind of reduces maintenance to just changing the oil and keeping your chain tensioned correctly. Tune-up's are a thing of the past with the revised ignition....and it's a heck of a lot of fun to drive it hard which is just fine as it's a Honda and will never leave you stuck :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:02 pm 
Thanks Marvin!