cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tyre Choice
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:28 pm 
Alwazereal wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a 2011 cbr 125r and I plan to replace the tires on them this winter. Im new to riding and want the best grip I can get on wet roads. I avoid the rain with the stock tires, but enjoy riding too much to let a little rain stop me :biggrin: . So over the winter I plan to do a few things to the bike which include installing the performance pack (I will be ordering any day now!), and new Metzler tires (they sound great).
I will be getting the 110s for the front, not sure if I should get the same for the back.my bike tyre is 130/70-17 . I cant find a 130, would it be bad to go to the next size available which are 150s or go down to 120s. Any advise is great.

Thanks!

I have a 2011 CBR125R as well (with a 2011 CBR150R engine swap). I actually replaced my stock IRC Road Winner's with Metzeler Roadtec Z8 tires. Like Marvin - I went with radial rubber - and I went Metzeler. I swapped the stock front for a slightly larger 110/70-17 (yet similar weight) tire, and then actually went down one size in the rear to a 120/70-17 (more than 2lbs less weight than stock). Most seem to want a huge tire on the rear - but a large, heavy tire increases rotational mass - and on these bikes - it just robs you of acceleration. Heck the Moto 3 250cc racing bikes use a 120 rear - so that's good enough for me. The Metzelers are surprisingly light-weight. The Roadtecs are Metzeler's sport-touring tires - so they should wear better than the sportier Interacs that Marvin uses (clearly Marvin demands the highest performance from his tires. He isn't as concerned about longevity). I have about 6000 kms on my tires now. The front still look news. However, the rear is showing some wear along the center of the tire (it is a front tire being used as a rear tire after all) - but not too bad considering how much mileage I have on the tires. Not sure how these compare to the Interacs - but on my bike - I've push these tires hard at times (I've toured on them across Ontario with 100 lbs of gear on the bike) and they've never let me down - in any kind of weather. Next season - I'll probably swap the front to the rear - and just replace the front with another Roadtec Z8.

Mike

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:37 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I was hoping you'd chime in Mike as I recalled that you were using Metzelers but for the life of me I couldn't recall the specifics.

Btw, I saw that the new CBR125r is back down to $1999 :cool: I need tires pretty quick, some of my bodywork has a few marks....hmmm.....It's almost cheaper to bike a new bike sometimes :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:54 am 
mmiller wrote:
I was hoping you'd chime in Mike as I recalled that you were using Metzelers but for the life of me I couldn't recall the specifics.

Btw, I saw that the new CBR125r is back down to $1999 :cool: I need tires pretty quick, some of my bodywork has a few marks....hmmm.....It's almost cheaper to bike a new bike sometimes :laugh:

Buy it if you can find one for that price. You won't get a better deal for a real motorcycle in all of motorcycledom. :) With all the improvements that were made to the bike - it's well worth it. And then you can mod that one too - to your heart's content.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:08 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I was thinking about it, and still am, but right now pretty much everything is going into module development and re-supply (I just had to do a stock order). And then there's the extra expense from the clutches etc etc.

Got out for a ride with the beta module. It was cold but I managed to kill off pretty much a full tank of gas. Did some more extensive tuning. It's still only roughed in but it's more/less equivalent to the stock ECU. I did manage to set a new record for top speed (for this bike) but I'm sure once it gets dialed in it will do considerably better. Revision 2.0 of the ECU is under way. Once thing that was really nice was the increased rev limit. I found that it was way easier to ride under WOT without that thing getting in the way. It makes each gear considerably taller and that gives me more time to shift, which is something I need, especially if you're pinning it first or any of the lower gears.

I was just glad to be able to finally get some seat time on the bike! :top: It's been too long!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:17 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
GearDrivenCam wrote:
I have a 2011 CBR125R as well (with a 2011 CBR150R engine swap). I actually replaced my stock IRC Road Winner's with Metzeler Roadtec Z8 tires. Like Marvin - I went with radial rubber - and I went Metzeler. I swapped the stock front for a slightly larger 110/70-17 (yet similar weight) tire, and then actually went down one size in the rear to a 120/70-17 (more than 2lbs less weight than stock). Most seem to want a huge tire on the rear - but a large, heavy tire increases rotational mass - and on these bikes - it just robs you of acceleration. Heck the Moto 3 250cc racing bikes use a 120 rear - so that's good enough for me. The Metzelers are surprisingly light-weight. The Roadtecs are Metzeler's sport-touring tires - so they should wear better than the sportier Interacs that Marvin uses (clearly Marvin demands the highest performance from his tires. He isn't as concerned about longevity). I have about 6000 kms on my tires now. The front still look news. However, the rear is showing some wear along the center of the tire (it is a front tire being used as a rear tire after all) - but not too bad considering how much mileage I have on the tires. Not sure how these compare to the Interacs - but on my bike - I've push these tires hard at times (I've toured on them across Ontario with 100 lbs of gear on the bike) and they've never let me down - in any kind of weather. Next season - I'll probably swap the front to the rear - and just replace the front with another Roadtec Z8.

Mike

Btw, Metzeler has a new tire out, it's designed to replace the M5 and they call it the M7 ( :ohmy: ). Apparently it's 100% silica on the front and mostly silica on the rear. Given I have to run two fronts that would mean 100% :laugh: I think they also took out two of the 5 steel belts as well so they should be easier to mount.

They're marketing them as a Guy Martin / Isle of Man tire - now I have to buy them :top: My rear is now well into illegal and I busted it loose during a power shift on a corner - it was pretty wild :cool:

Metzeler Interac M7's
phpBB [media]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:40 am 
Performance Pack

Canada
Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile but I thought I would post back what tires I have settled on for my 2011 cbr 125r. The OEM tire sizes are

front : 100 / 80 -17"
rear : 130 / 70 - 17"

I have narrowed it to two options the Pirelli Diablo Ross 2 (sport)

front : 110/ 70- 17"
rear : 140/70 - 17"
These are actually sized for a CBR250 these are the smallest sizes they come in.

or the Metzler Lasertec that come in the OEM sizes (sport touring)

these tires are also available in the wider size for a 250

Any thoughts on these tires? Thanks again for the advise I have received so for.

Cheers!

P.S. I just read what GearDrivenCam (Mike) wrote about going down a size for the rear tire. Going smaller for the rear tire? I have to think on that....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:33 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Given those choices you want Pirelli Diablo Rosso II - especially since the 140 you mentioned is a designated rear tire!!
Good find :top: :top:

Perhaps we'll have a new 'go to' tire for the second gen bikes :top:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:26 am 
Alwazereal wrote:
Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile but I thought I would post back what tires I have settled on for my 2011 cbr 125r. The OEM tire sizes are

I have narrowed it to two options the Pirelli Diablo Ross 2 (sport)

front : 110/ 70- 17"
rear : 140/70 - 17"
These are actually sized for a CBR250 these are the smallest sizes they come in.

or the Metzler Lasertec that come in the OEM sizes (sport touring)

these tires are also available in the wider size for a 250

Any thoughts on these tires? Thanks again for the advise I have received so for.

Cheers!

P.S. I just read what GearDrivenCam (Mike) wrote about going down a size for the rear tire. Going smaller for the rear tire? I have to think on that....

If I wanted tires similar to the originals in size - I would just go for the new Michelin Pilot Street Radials and be done with it. Radials are so much better than bias-ply.

Michelin Pilot Street Radial
Rear - 130/70-17
Front - 110/70-17

I went down a tire size in the rear 120/70-17 (front tire being used as a rear) so I could benefit from radial technology, as well as from using a significantly lighter rear tire to reduce rotational mass. The rear grips incredibly well - never had any issues with it - even when pushed hard. And now my bike accelerates noticeably harder. And my fuel economy has likely improved slightly. I see it as a win-win for me. Any drawbacks? Well - the rear tire now wears somewhat quicker. But it's still acceptable to me. And some might say a narrower rear doesn't look quite as good on the back. And that may be true. Still - I'd take the improvements in acceleration over looks in this instance.

Mike

Post subject: Re: CBR 125 Tyre Choice
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:00 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Things must have changed (again!) on the tire front as I'm seeing a bunch of tires in the 130 rear size that I wasn't seeing before :top: There's a really good selection in the stock 130 size and if you bump it to 140 there's more. Don't know if they all have matching 110's for the front but it's looking like the second gen bike is now able to sample from a really good cross-section of quality tires.

I'm certain that wasn't the case not too long ago :cool:

Post subject: Re: CBR 125 Tyre Choice
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:37 pm 
mmiller wrote:
Things must have changed (again!) on the tire front as I'm seeing a bunch of tires in the 130 rear size that I wasn't seeing before :top: There's a really good selection in the stock 130 size and if you bump it to 140 there's more. Don't know if they all have matching 110's for the front but it's looking like the second gen bike is now able to sample from a really good cross-section of quality tires.

I'm certain that wasn't the case not too long ago :cool:

That's probably true Marvin. I know the Michelin Pilot Street radials are quite new on the market.

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next