cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:34 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
sRo wrote:
Hmmmmm.... Racing cam? Tell me more if you don't mind.
How much? ~$100? Performance gain over stock? Worth it?
Do think it affects reliability at all?

It works really well, in fact, it will actually outrun the tach :biggrin: It costs us more then $100 to make them. It's worth it. It lasts as long as the OEM cam - in short, pretty much indefinitely :top: ...and....they make really good power high up in the RPM range. Pretty much 8K all the way to 12K.

Wait a sec...I think there's a video....

phpBB [media]

One thing though, you can't run aftermarket exhaust with the cam unless you have a replacement ECU. So, stock exhaust only.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:33 am 
Performance Pack

Canada
What do you think about leaving the tank empty and the cap off for long term storage? Will this prevent rust?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:21 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
It would probably work but there's always the issue of what crawls in there and makes a home :laugh: On the other hand, there's also the moisture in the air to contend with.

Painting the tank kind of addresses all of those issues. In my case, with the painted tank, if I were going to store it long term then I would just run it out of gas and leave it. This would only be done for preventing fuel from turning to varnish - it's not the tank itself that is the concern. For off-season storage, with a painted tank, there's no issue of whether it's full or empty or what have you. As long as the gas will still be relatively OK (is, usable) then it's no issue.

It's not a big deal to paint the tank. You just run the bike really low on fuel, pop the tank off, remove the cap and the fuel pump assembly and then do the POR-15 thing to it. The kits come with a tank cleaner and some other things, and the paint. You just do it in/over the bathtub and you're good to go :top: You never have to be concerned with fuel levels or storage issues etc.

My neighbor has an '83 CB1000 that he bought new. The tank is spotless - literally as new inside. Thing is, he always has to keep gas on hand to keep it topped up and basically do 'tank maintenance'. That's been ongoing since '83 :smile: When I considered the issue I figured painting the tank would keep from all of that - and it has. It's a good cheap and easy thing to do. But, I also saw the other side of it when I got the bike, a minor amount of rust around the filler neck that did get worse over time. So I saw it every time I filled the bike and I watched it degrade. For me, painting the tank was a smart move. It killed the rust issue in it's most early stage and then stopped all future rust from ever occurring. I haven't thought about the tank or fuel issues ever since :top: