cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 pm

Post subject: slippage problem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:38 am 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
got a problem is there a chance the 5th gear clutch plates on the way out

when im reving to the max of is it 10000rpm then change to 5th well it will goto 5th but it will slip 2seconds later and then go back to normal and carry on reving but its done it about 3 times when im doing high rev from 4th

so I did a test changed gear from 4th at 7000rpm and then to 5th and left it reving upto the max 10000rpm and it was fine :wacko:

is there a chance the 5th clutch doesn't like the high rpm and its nearly worn out

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

Post subject: Re: slippage problem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:45 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
ukguy2k wrote:
is there a chance the 5th clutch doesn't like the high rpm and its nearly worn out

That is a worn clutch. If it's slipping for that amount of time, it's toast. When a clutch is on it's way out it will slip at high RPM during gear changes - usually in the higher gears first.

Classic clutch slip I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:57 am 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
its got about 21000km and the person I brought it from clearly didn't look after it as oil was black and below low oil surprised nothing else as got damaged

spent loads to keep this on road and now I lost a job and cant afford anything else to get fixed so looks like I going to after sell as I cant afford a new clutch replacement

going to give a month to find a job then Im just going to after let my bike go shame really

managed to get 80mph on a flat overtaking load of cars then all of a sudden a cop was behind me so I slowed down lol

don't know how to change clutch and guessing its money to get the socket to remove the basket aswell if I had a go

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:12 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
Yup, you'll need 3 things to change it out, a replacement clutch, a socket and a wrench, all of which are designed for these bikes (specialty items). :sad:

You can get a cheaper cork-based clutch though. You don't have to go Carbon Fiber, as it's a pretty high-end clutch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:44 am 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
well I no money at all to spare so that's why I might just after sell it soon if I don't get another job

not had any luck really with this cbr brought in feb and spent about £500 in fixing it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 am 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
I always thought clutch post to last around 40000km or so or does it depend on the oil changes and how they ridden the bike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:00 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I've written so much material on the clutches on this bike I don't really want to write anymore. Take a look at the Carbon Fiber clutch page and you'll find lots of text on the clutches on these bikes. Same thing with the Clutch Springs page - each one contains a lot of information on the clutches in these bikes :top:

40,000k on a clutch? Sure, if it's driven like Grandma the clutch will probably last 100,000k or more. This is possible with a CBR 600 RR because it has enough power. The 125 on the other hand, due to it's small size, lends itself to being beaten mercilessly. It's a small bike. To make the small bike go faster you typically are harder on it.

This is why I developed new clutch springs and this is why I brought out Carbon Fiber clutch disks. To improve on the weak links with respect to the clutch side of the bike. Same thing with the Performance Pack. All of these products are designed to address these very areas. To make the bike perform better and also to address the weak links so that it can handle the increased stress that people tend to subject the bike to :top:

Having said that, always be sure the clutch lever freeplay is at 15mm, not having the clutch lever freeplay set correctly will result in early clutch wear.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:38 pm 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
dam if I knew clutch wear quick I wouldn't of bothered I would of stayed with a scooter lol

:blink:

if I was still working fulltime I would of brought your clutch and performance pack but to late now lol