cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 am

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:00 am 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
im thinking of getting vx ring did heavy duty chain as I do about 12000miles a year and the did heavy duty im using I wear it out to the last link adjustment in 5months and I don't want to pay £60 for a new chain and sprockets when I can get vx ring kit with sprockets for £75-80

if I was to go for vx ring will it effect my acceleration a lot of just a tad

also if I was to change from 15t front to 14t will it wear my chain out quicker as I mostly do 30-50mph 95% of the time

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:45 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
On chains, it's much much better to get a high quality chain such as the DID 428 VX PRO-Street X-Ring Chain. I'm running that one now and if anything, it should be better then the OE O-Ring chain but probably not by much (I'm not so sure there's much of a difference between O-Ring and X-Ring but whatever).

The real thing is strength of the chain and preventing water ingress and keeping the lube that's in the chain, when manufactured, in there. I think you're right on the money with looking at that chain in particular.

On the performance front, it can effect your performance if your existing chain is totally shot. Really, what we're talking about is friction and reducing it. If you have a soft supple chain and it's correctly tensioned and lubricated that will help your performance. Speaking of which, lubricating your chain will help your performance - it's not just maintenance, it reduces friction.

Deeper gearing on the front will wear out a chain faster. All things being equal, it's always better to change the rear sprocket size as opposed to the front.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:55 pm 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
is it safe to use grudge brush to clean x ring

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:57 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I don't know :huh:

What I do is soak a rag in Kerosene and then run it all over the chain repeatedly until clean. At that point I lubricate it with 80/90 gear oil, move the bike ahead a bit, lubricate the rest of it, rinse and repeat and then park it somewhere where the excess can drip off without issue. I got 30-35K out of my first chain (I think) and that was pretty good. I only replaced it because it had one or two slight tight spots on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:09 am 
Clutch Springs

United Kingdom
I buy a vx ring then as I want to save on money and not keep replacing with a cheap hd did chain every 5months

also when you gear oil the chain how often you do it to keep the chain to last is it once a week

im using lube spray for my chain and it does annoy that it sprays all over the wheel so I after clean it

when you lube the chain with gear oil do you use a paint brush

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:46 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I try and oil it once a week if I remember. Usually I do but sometimes it'll go a month without :blink:

I'm using a squirt-bottle but a brush would work just as well. I do drive it around the driveway a bit after doing it so that it gets all over and then I leave it there to drip off the little bit of access and then I clean the kickstand with a shop rag. The VX ring DID chain is well worth it even though it costs more if it lives up to the original chain that's 30, or 35,000 K and that's a long time :top: