cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

Post subject: Chain Replacement
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:13 pm 
Clutch Springs

Canada
Recently bought a used 07 cbr 125 to finish my graduated license on. Doing a full tune up this weekend and wanted to know people's opinion on what chain to use. I can't justify paying Honda $110 for a chain when I can get a DID and JT chain and sprocket kit for only $60. Only thing is the chain is a "standard" chain and the manual says only replace with an o-ring chain. What have you guys used when you replaced it and/or is it really that bad to go to a standard? I've read extremely mixed things and first hand experience is always best!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

Post subject: Re: Chain Replacement
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:32 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
In this case, experience really is the best and a 'standard' chain is not a good choice. It will wear out very fast and it will stretch very quickly. It's one of those things where it really pays to get the proper part.

I've just replaced my second chain (so I'm now on #3) and #2 was a '3rd party' X-Ring chain (Asian). It was pretty good but it did not last as long as the OE DID chain. So my 3rd one, that was just put on a few days ago, was this one => https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/did-42 ... chain.html

which is to say, a real DID X-Ring chain. If anything, it should be better then the OE chain.

If you were going to cheap out, then I would really cheap out and buy something like this => https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/rk-428 ... chain.html for $17 (!!!) and get experience with what a real cheap chain is like :laugh: At a whole $17 it would be cheap and then you would know yourself from real experience and it would not cost you much at all.

I seem to get about 30,000 KM out of a quality chain. In the end it's up to you but you asked for experience, and in this specific case, quality really counts. You can stretch out the life of a chain (pardon the pun) by regular oiling and cleaning. But if the underlying chain is not sealed, then you're not going to get much life from it.

The odd thing is, different length chains are more money, and, it often seems that a longer chain is cheaper. So, depending on whether riding will be a lifelong ambition for you, it may well be worth picking up a chain breaker/riveter. In my case, buying the 130 link chain was quite a bit cheaper then buying the shorter proper length chain. Go figure :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:03 pm 
Performance Pack

Canada
Another option is BikeBandit.com
They have an RK 428 O-Ring chain for $80US plus shipping...http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-wheels-and-final-drive/chains-universal/rk-428-so-standard-o-ring-chain
This is the only place that I have found that has a 428 O-Ring chain with 124 links. No chain breaker/riveter required.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:44 pm 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
$80 US is about $100 CAD, add in the shipping and it's probably more then buying one from the dealer. Thing is, the dealer chain will be a DID O-ring which is a very, very good chain - and, there's no shipping.

But your point is valid, if a person doesn't have a chain-breaker then you have to use an exact length chain. But, this brings it back to the dealer, their chain would be exact length.

As an aside, I actually removed two links from my new chain bringing it to 122 links.