cbr125 forum

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:57 pm 
Performance Pack

Australia
On the face of it, the standard CBR125R rear shock is pretty bare-bones basic: there are no adjustments whatsoever and the unit is apparently made to be disposable rather than rebuildable.
This one-size-fits-all design philosophy clearly has its limitations: built in Thailand, where the average adult might make 100lb in their best suit and heaviest shoes, the bike is also sold in North America, where four-year-olds weigh that much - and are taller too: ditto Europe, where teenagers are routinely over 6ft tall and 180lbs.

While the forks are adjustable by dint of viscosity and spacers, the rear shock isn't: for anyone seeking something more sophisticated, there's a YSS for some hundreds of dollars - and that seems to be about that, short of going the bespoke Wilbers or Ohlins route, where the rear shock will easily cost more than the whole bike.
Please don't mention British Hagon shocks: I had a pair on my Guzzi: within hours, one burst and sprayed oil on my rear tyre & brake; the other seized after about a week; both had peeling chrome and flaking paint. They are expensive junk. Similarly, the after-market stuff out of Thailand looks a bit too cheap to be anything more than bling.

But how good IS the standard CBR125R rear shock? :unsure: This is a Honda - which means that generally, components are pretty good - cleverly designed and well made, to exacting engineering requirements. That said, traditionally, standard Japanese shock absorbers have been pretty poor: jellied grease rather than oil, too little springing and bushings that fail quickly and often - and the units are usually not rebuildable - not easily, anyway.
About all the standard CBR125 rear shock has going for it is a progressively-wound spring, which is a pleasing red.

So, the question to the Brains Trust is, Has anyone successfully altered anything on the standard rear shock? Rebuilt one? Had it reoiled, resealed or resprung? Or is the YSS the only game in town?
Is it worth getting a used one and trying to open it up? I don't really have the skills, knowldedge or tools to know what can be improved - if someone else hereabouts does :top:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorber
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:46 am 
Racing ECU (!!)

Canada
I've thought about it carefully over the last few years and when the time comes I'm going with the YSS racing shock. There's two that I know of, one is somewhat adjustable and the other version is fully adjustable and has a oil can on a braided line attached to it. I was quoted $299 (or less?) for the rear racing shock version.

There's also a Gazi Hacker which is, I believe, an Israeli rear shock that is even cheaper. But given that the IDF is a little busy these days who knows if there's stock :laugh:

I don't think anything can be done for the stock rear shock. I do know that I doubled my buddy on the back once (200 lbs) and between lugging him around and my own 180 pounds the rear shock has never been the same since :laugh: So....I recommend that if a person wants to get the most life out of their rear shock keep as much weight off it as possible :top:

But for me, I find the $299 YSS Racing shock to be the early favourite. I can also get an Elka for about $500 and that would be a high quality shock, probably on the level of an Ohlins. Perhaps that extra $200 would be worth it. They do ask for your weight and other information before making & selling it to you so it's pretty much a serious piece by a serious company :top:

...because every day is MotoGP day when you own a CBR 125r...